Frequently asked questions and answers about our home care services and assisted living for seniors.
Download printable PDF
- What is home care? How does in-home care cost compare to assisted-living or nursing homes?
- Home Care is an option for senior care that enables aging at your own home. Home Care services are an alternate and preferred choice versus an assisted living or nursing home. In recent survey when compared to the costs associated with a retirement community, private duty home care can be a very affordable option for many seniors. The average annual cost of one nursing home resident is $69,715. The average annual cost of one assisted living facility resident is $36,372. (Source: MetLife Market Survey of Nursing Home & Assisted Living Costs)
Seniors who want to remain in their homes can often do so cost effectively with a few hours of care a week. For example, 20 hours of companionship home care a week costs approximately $1,500 a month or an average annual cost of $20,800.
- How is home care paid for?
- Hearts To Home is a private pay company, but because all care is supervised by a professional nurse, many long term care insurance companies prefer to work with us. Also if you are a Veteran, you may be eligible for a Veteran Home Care Assistance Benefit. If you have any questions, our Care Managers will be happy to contact your insurance company and the Veteran's Administration to assist you.
- Why hire Hearts to Home CareGivers versus an individual caregiver?
If you hire privately, you become the employer of the caregiver. The following are just a few of the things you must take into consideration when hiring privately.
- Once you hire a caregiver privately, you are responsible for all state and federal payroll taxes.
- You must obtain Workers Compensation Insurance or make sure your private caregiver comes with insurance. If not, you could be responsible for any injuries claimed to have happened while working at your home. How will you pay for any claims of disability if they are filed against you?
- What happens if the private person doesn’t show up for work? Are you prepared to stay home and take care of your loved one?
- If the care is for you, are you prepared to be left alone without care if the caregiver does not show up?
- Are you capable of running a comprehensive, national criminal background check?
- Is the private caregiver bonded against theft?
- Who will supervise him/her?
These are only some of the challenges to hiring privately.
Hearts To Home offers many unique benefits and provides peace of mind and security to you and your loved ones. We directly employ, screen, train and bond their caregivers. In addition, Hearts To Home handles all scheduling and payroll management. We offer the benefits of 24/7 on-call availability, caregiver monitoring and individualized care plans.
- What level of service do you provide?
- We offer a full range of non medical senior home care services such as companionship services, personal care, homemaking, transportation, case management, nurse wellness visit, home hospice support. For a detailed list of services please visit Our Services (make a link) page or contact one of our Case Managers.
- In what areas are your services available and what are your hours?
- We service Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Waukesha, Racine, Kenosha, Washington, and Dane Counties. We provide services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- How much does the service cost?
- Because our services are tailored to each individual client's needs, the cost per hour is variable, and is based on clients needs. Our prices are competitive and comparable to those of most other home care agencies. In order to provide the best care possible, we must visit each of our clients in their own environment in order to accurately assess the services needed and establish accurate pricing. Please call our office for a free in-home no obligation assessment.
- Are your services covered by Medicare?
- Unfortunately at this time Medicare does not cover non-medical home care services.
- Do you provide care in facilities also?
- Yes we can provide companionship or personal care services to residents at assisted living communities and nursing homes or patients at hospitals who may desire additional support and attention or personalized care.
- How do you select your caregivers?
- We thoroughly verify credentials, references, and experience, and we perform national criminal background checks on all applicants. In addition to in-depth interviews, written testing, and hands-on skills assessments, we also evaluate their compassion, excellence, and reliability — the core values of CareGiver.
- How do you train your caregivers?
- We continuously improve our work through evaluation, education, and training. Our programs include preceptor mentoring, instruction, written exams, hands-on skills work, and supervised time in the field prior to independent assignment. All caregivers also undergo annual skill evaluations and have access to in-service programs, continuing education, and scholarship opportunities.
- How long does it take to get a caregiver?
- Immediately. We work with our clients to provide the care they need as quickly as possible at their convenience. Call us at 414 352 - 9040 to speak directly with our Care Mangers for a free no obligation in-home assessment. An in-depth, in-person interview with you and your family will ensure that we can provide the right services for you right away.
- What if my caregiver is sick or goes on vacation?
- On days that your regular caregiver is not available, a competent reliever will be made available immediately. And because Hearts To Home handles all aspect of scheduling including when a caregiver is on vacation, you will never be without competent and caring CareGiver. Our Case Manager or Registered Nurse will be present to make introductions should there be a reliever. We will call and notify you with any changes in the schedule. Your safety and security is our top priority.
- Who pays the caregiver and how do they get paid?
- Hearts To Home directly employs all our CareGivers, therefore we pay all taxes for our employees so our client's do not have to deal with anything other than a simple invoice. Our employees gets paid on a weekly basis. Our rates includes the cost of the employees wages, the federal, state, and local employment taxes, social security taxes, workman's compensation insurance, bonding and professional liability insurance. More importantly is the supervision and ongoing training for our staff that is included with this cost of service.
- Do I have to sign a contract or am I locked into a service?
- We do have a standard service agreement that outlines the services we provide that protects you and us. However, you are not locked into any services. Our service agreement reflects this and flexes to meet changing needs. You are in control to make any adjustments to your scope of service, receive only the care you need, when you need it.
- How do I get billed?
- Live in Care services are billed on a monthly basis while Hourly and Short Term Care Services are billed semi weekly.
- Do you accept credit card payments?
- Yes we accept all major credit card for payments.
- What if we don't like our CareGiver?
- Contact our Care Managers and we will refer another CareGiver. Our goal is to make sure you are happy and comfortable with your CareGiver.
- What if I need to speak to someone in the office after business hours?
- Our Care Staff is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. When the office is closed, there is an on-call person available to help you.